Protect Your Valuables


Matthew 13:44-46 (KJV)
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.


In my blog post last week, I set a few goals for myself in 2012. One of these was to get to know God better by spending time with Him. We discussed this "treasure" scripture in Matthew yesterday in Sunday School. As part of this 2012 journey, I asked myself some questions.

What is the biggest joy in my life? Some might say family, hobbies or even that first cup of coffee in the morning. The Hubster likes to come home, put on sweats, lie on the couch with a kitty cat beside him and watch TV. This activity makes him content, but it is not the biggest joy in his life.

Others will only be happy when they make partner in their law firm, bank their first million, or write a best-selling novel. I saw a news story once about a woman who had 37 plastic surgeries to make herself look exactly like a Barbie doll. She knew this achievement would give her peace. What am I looking to achieve in this life? What is my treasure?

I own a few things of value, a modest home, two reasonably-priced cars and some cats of questionable lineage. What is most valuable to me? Is it the new Kindle Fire the Hubster got me for Christmas? Maybe that mattress set we bought a year ago? All of these things make my life nice and comfortable, but is comfort really my highest priority?

God never promised us a carefree life. He did promise us "joy unspeakable and full of glory." It seems as if our culture puts an artificially high price on comfort. What is more important, my comfort or God? I want to follow God's plan for my life, even if that means I won't have it easy every minute. I sure do like His scenario in the long run.

Think about it...what's in your treasure chest?

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three Wii Fit Plus workouts last week and ran three miles. The yoga and strength training is addictive and seems to be helping my posture and stress levels.

***

Notable Quote:


Matthew 6:19-21 (KJV)
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward