Breathed By God


My pastor related a story last week that really struck me. His mother taught all of her children (eight, in total!) to write by giving them a pencil and placing her hand over theirs. She guided their little hands along the paper, forming beautiful words. Those youngsters weren't actually writing, they were simply following the lead of their loving mother.

This sweet tale is a fitting parallel to how the prophets wrote the Bible. Faithful men of old were chosen by God to record His Word. God told them what to write. His Word is "theopneustos," a Greek word meaning "God breathed." Thus, the Scripture is divinely inspired.

Here we are, more than 2,000 years later, still talking about the words those men wrote. I believe that the Bible is alive; a living testament of God. These words have power and meaning and wisdom in every passage. It is a living love letter that God gave to each one of us.

I try to spend as much time as possible studying the Bible. It always seems, however, that the more I know, the more I don't know. In some ways, God's Word is very simple and straightforward. There are deeper meanings to it, though, so every time I read, I discover something new. His Word is like an abstract painting, from every angle, there are fresh perspectives.

Psalm 119:105 (KJV)
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.


***

Next Monday is kickoff day for Fantastic February with Female in Motion! I want you to be part of this, so make sure to read every Monday's blog post. You'll have fun, I promise!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I walked two miles last week and did three 30-minute Wii workouts. The weather was pretty cold last week, but exercise outdoors really wakes you up!

***

Notable Quote:

John 17:17 (KJV)
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Comments

Sam LaFantasie said…
Your thoughts on interpreting scripture is interesting. I never looked at it as an abstract painting and it's very true, with each angle, or person, there is a different interpretation. Cool! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward