The Man That Stood Among the Myrtle Trees


The Old Testament prophet Zechariah had a dream one night. In it a man appeared, riding a red horse. He stood among the myrtle trees and gave a warning to the nation of Israel in one word: repent.

Biblical prophecy sometimes seems murky or difficult to discern, but the story of the Lord visiting Zechariah in a dream is straightforward.

Zechariah 1:8-10 (KJV)
8 I saw by night, and behold a man riding upon a red horse, and he stood among the myrtle trees that were in the bottom; and behind him were there red horses, speckled, and white.
9 Then said I, O my lord, what are these? And the angel that talked with me said unto me, I will shew thee what these be.
10 And the man that stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, These are they whom the LORD hath sent to walk to and fro through the earth.


The prophet knew immediately that the man among the myrtle trees was the Lord Himself. Israel was in disarray and he recognized this man as a warrior, sent to protect His nation, but also to set it right. He warned of judgment for the sins of the people.

I love the imagery that "the man that stood among the myrtle trees" evokes. The Lord is quiet and calm, yet strong and sure. There is no denying His authority. When my life is getting way too chaotic, my prayer life is suffering and my priorities are askew, I lift my eyes to meet the gaze of that man.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did five 40-minute workouts last week. Yes, even though it was a holiday! Jogging: three times at 2 miles each, aerobics: five times at 10 minutes each, yoga and strength training: two times at 15 minutes each, balance games: five times at 15 minutes each. Because of the steady exercise, I managed to lose a pound last week.

***

Notable Quote:

"Some people do not like to hear much of repentance; but I think it is so necessary that if I should die in the pulpit, I would desire to die preaching repentance, and if out of the pulpit I would desire to die practicing it."--Matthew Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward