Selah


The Psalms are peppered with this little five-letter word: selah. What does it mean? That's a good question.

Bible scholars have varied opinions. Some say it means "silence." Others think "stop" or "pause." Most agree that it is a Hebrew word, used at the end of a sentence. The skeptics call it "a nonsensical word." I prefer to see it as a song, a liturgical direction, meaning "to lift your voice."

No surprise here...I'm a choir nerd. Did my first solo in third grade, starred in musicals in junior high, sang my way through high school and college. When you spend three to five hours every day in music, that's your reference point. When individual voices in a choir are joined together, truly knit tight, it's a spiritual thing. Sounds cheesy, but I want to be in heaven's choir.

I watch "The Sing Off" on NBC this fall. It's on Monday nights, so I listen to it as I write my blog. An a capella singing competition, "The Sing Off" brings the best choir voices together and the results are heavenly.

When voices are lifted together in songs of praise to our Lord, it's more than special. It's supernatural. The Psalms are beautiful hymns that honor the Creator and His creation. Won't it be cool to hear them in heaven sung by a mighty choir? Can't wait!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four 20-minute aerobic workouts and ran 1.5 miles each on four days, so that equals six miles last week. I'm trying to increase the amount I jog every week. Working on rhythmic breathing, too.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 68:32 (KJV
)
"Sing unto God, ye kingdoms of the earth; O sing praises unto the Lord; Selah:"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward