"Just a Little Bump"

"Just a Little Bump" is the working title of a short story I'm currently writing. The 2010 Kansas Authors Club Contest deadline is June 15 and I want to give myself plenty of leeway. Although this story is fiction, it is based on a life event. I am a cancer survivor of 23 years.

On the day I gave birth to our youngest daughter, I found out that I had a malignant melanoma on my right arm. The mole there started to grow and change during my pregnancy. The doctors called it a "hormonally fed cancer." After a small biopsy and confirmed diagnosis, I had surgery to remove a large section of my right bicep. Thanks be to God, I did not have to have chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

The real heroes of this story are God, my husband, my daughters and my wonderful mom and dad, who gave me support, love and sacrificed their time to help me heal. Now I have a good-sized scar on my arm. Some days I hide it, and others I show it off. Some days I tell people the real story of what made that scar, and others I spin a tall tale of scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef.

***

The Hubster and I started spring cleaning on Saturday with...the basement. That dark, smelly hole had been neglected since last spring and was in dire need of a domestic intervention. Our basement is kind of a catch-all for discarded computer guts, pet supplies and a zany melange of lawn chairs, luggage and old toys. We spent a couple of hours vacuuming, sweeping, dusting and throwing away old junk. There were dust bunnies the size of buffaloes!

***

Spring Forward hit me hard this year. That's a lie, it hits me hard every year. We usually set our alarm for eight a.m. on Sundays, but I woke up at seven a.m. yesterday for some reason. That means I actually woke up at SIX A.M.! Carol is not a morning person. This morning, I had a lot of trouble waking up and walked around like a zombie until 10 a.m. Can't wait for Fall Back!

***

Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts and two sets of hand-weight calisthenics last week. The new disco workout video is a lot of fun and makes the time go faster.

***

Notable Quote:

"The goal is to live a full, productive life even with all that ambiguity. No matter what happens, whether the cancer never flares up again or whether you die, the important thing is that the days that you have you will have lived."--Gilda Radner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward