New Campaign

I met with my writing mentor, Dean Hall, last week. He's part mentor/part therapist and one hundred percent wise guy. He said during these dull winter months, in order to snap myself out of the doldrums, I need to add a little bit of insanity to every day. "Do something silly!" he said. So here goes. I propose that we start a grassroots campaign called "Practice Random Acts of Daily Insanity."

As proof that I'm holding up my end of the bargain: On Friday, I wore The Hubster's over sized coat into Staples in Ponca City and flapped my arms around the aisles. (An employee asked if I needed any assistance.) On Saturday, my friend, Bonnie, gave me a pin that said "Feisty." I wore it the rest of the day, including stops in Wichita stores and restaurants. On Sunday evening, when asked by a church member why we were so quiet in church, I said The Hubster and I were necking. In front of the whole congregation! (We weren't, by the way.)

***

Saturday was the monthly Kansas Writers Association meeting in Wichita. I adore being a member of this group. We discuss upcoming events and publish dates for members, listen to a cool, informative speaker, then hone our writing chops with a workshop. My friend, B.D. "Bonnie" Tharp, is looking forward to her first novel being published on Feb. 17. (That's where the "Feisty" button came from.) Bonnie's book is called "Feisty Family Values." Reserve your copy on Amazon now. It's a good read! (http://www.pennylockwoodehrenkranz.blogspot.com)

Following is the quick-write exercise that I did at the KWA meeting:

THE BREAKUP

"There's something I have to tell you."

I gulped and managed a weak smile. "What's up?"

"It's like this," he started, strong shoulders straightening under my favorite oxford-cloth shirt. "We can't go on like this. It wouldn't be right."

"Have I done something wrong?" I queried. "What can I do to make it better?"

"It's not you...it's me," he assured. "We're moving in different directions."

I searched his ice-blue eyes for answers, my own chocolate peepers welling up with tears. He shifted his weight from foot-to-foot, while I twisted a tissue in my hands.

"It can't be over. It's just so sudden!"

"We both knew this was coming," he patted my shoulder gently, then kissed me on the cheek. "You're fired."

***

I have a prayer request for all you warriors out there. The Hubster is scheduled for laser surgery on his spine at 2 p.m. Tuesday, 1/19/2010. If successful, this procedure will kill the nerves in his back that are causing so much pain, and give him up to one year pain-free. Pray that God will guide the surgeon's hands and give The Hubster a full and speedy recovery. Thanks! We appreciate it.

***

Exercise Update: I'm starting the New Year off right, with four sets of hand-weight calisthenics and four aerobic workouts last week. Yeehaw!

***

Notable Quote:

"Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie."--David Mamet, playwright

Jeremiah 17:14 (KJV)
"Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward