Memories Light the Corners of my Mind

I cleaned out my desk last week. Funny, but for a tidy person, I don't clean my desk very often. Anyway, I came across two packages of photographs from 2007 and 2008. I had set them aside to label and add to an album at a later time. When I talked to my mom on Sunday afternoon, she said that she had come across some old photos, too.

Busy women tend to let the little things go and focus on putting out the big fires. The pictures were of my mom's big birthday party and a trip to Houston to visit family. These are important to me, so I took some time last weekend to label and date each one, but when I went to find a photo album to put them in, they were all full. I thought, what a wonderful problem to have, so many good memories that they are overflowing. Thanks, God!

***

The Cowley County Writer's Guild met last Thursday at the library. We talked about cool stuff like: do you think you write better after reading a really good book, or a really bad book? Actually, we did a cool writing exercise that went over well. You pick a consumer product and write an advertisement for it in 15 minutes or less. We had a lot of fun with a can of coffee, a sack of cat treats and a sock monkey. Sounds like the start of a joke, A can of coffee, a sack of cat treats and a sock monkey walk into a bar...

***

The Ark City Public Library is hosting the Kansas Humanities Council's TALK series. At 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 11, 2010, Dr. Joyce Thierer, Emporia State University, will lead a discussion on the book, "Buffalo Girls" by Larry McMurtry, legendary Western author. The paperback edition is available at amazon.com for $10.

***

Momala's Netflix Movie Pick: The Hubster and I watched "Julie & Julia" after church on Sunday. It had been in our queue for a while, with a long wait. It was worth the wait. We are big into food and this movie showed a lot of cooking by Julie Powell and a lot of Julia Child's cooking history. It was so fun to learn more about her, and to realize Julia's impact on American food today. Meryl Streep and Amy Adams star in this hopeful film. Rated PG-13, I gave this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

***

Exercise Update: I did three aerobic workouts and arm-weight calisthenic routines last week. Also, for something new, I tried a Beginner's Tai Chi DVD. The movements, relaxation, concentration on posture and breathing was great, but I didn't care for all the Mother Earth/Hugging the Tree stuff. On to the next thing!

***

Notable Quote:

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."--Chinese proverb

Psalm 31:3 KJV "For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward