Old Room/New Paint


My daughter, Rachel, came down to help me paint the spare bedroom last Friday. This is the room that we are making into a new space for The Hubster. You can see that the new rugs are in place, too. I still have to paint the trim, put in the new furniture and buy some bedding, as well. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks before I attempt the trim, I am getting too old to paint every weekend!

***

I just finished reading two books by Debbie Macomber. She is a women's fiction author that I am researching. At the first KWA (Kansas Writers Association)meeting I went to, Bonnie Tharp recommended that a writer should read books in the genre he/she wants to write in, to get perspective. I am also researching books by Rene Gutteridge and Jan Karon. So far, I like Jan Karon's books the best. She has the most similarities to my style.

***

Two people have replied to my invitation to the new Cowley County Writer's Guild meeting. That's a good start, I think. Don't forget, the meeting is at 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 21, at the Ark City Public Library. Everyone is invited; middle-school-aged and up.


***

I made my first submission to the Chicken Soup for the Soul website this afternoon. It was a short story that I've been working on lately. I don't know if I will ever hear from them again, but I feel good that I had the guts to send it. You never know...

***

My nephew, Nick Wiley, was in Derby to visit his grandmother last week, so I made a trip up to hang out with them for an evening. Nick will be a high school freshman this fall, and has grown at least two inches since I saw him earlier this year. We talked about his new school, adventures with Nana, and his latest project, helping his dad plan our next family reunion. Nick and his family live in Springfield, MO, not far from Branson, so they volunteered to check out some places. I love talking to Nick, he's a guy with big ideas and goals.

***

Exercise Update:

I did four sets of hand weight calisthenics and three 30-minute aerobic workouts last week. My red linen sheath dress is fitting quite loosely this summer!

***

Notable Quotes:

"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein."--Walter Wellesley "Red" Smith

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."--Hebrews 4:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward