Rerun: DisCOURAGEment



Original entry date: February 6, 2012

A letter came in the mail today. A dear friend is going through hard times. A missionary to troubled teens in the Kansas City area, this man also works full-time at a secular job to provide for his family. Last week, he was fired from his job for something he did not do. He's discouraged.

I know a woman who is waiting on a sign from God. Her life is in a holding pattern. She has a family, a great career, loving friends, and she wants more. This woman wants to step out by faith on a new mission, but God hasn't said the word yet. She is discouraged.

Last week I got two rejection letters for my writing. After two years of submitting my work to publications, I still have no success. My blog is gaining new readers and I am networking with lots of talented writers, but I want to be published. I am discouraged.

Elijah the prophet was discouraged, too. God sent him to preach to the people of Israel, but King Ahab worshipped Baal and the altar of God had fallen into disrepair. Elijah knew he had to rebuild the altar to win the hearts of the Jews back to God. He spoke to the people, "How long halt ye between two opinions? If the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him." 

After praying to God for guidance, Elijah made a bold move. He challenged all 450 of Baal's prophets to bring fire down from the sky. Try as they might, it just didn't happen. Then Elijah prayed to God, and the fire rained down from heaven. 

My dad said, "Some days you eat the lion, and some days the lion eats you." Discouragement is so hard to live through, but it doesn't have to be a permanent condition. Stay close to God in prayer and in His Word. He honors obedience. The missionary will get another job, the woman will receive a sign and I will be published. We all stumble; success is in getting back up again.

Proverbs 24:16 (KJV)
For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward