Post-Cancer Milestone

Orange Fuzzy and I celebrating a milestone.
Five years ago, on May 20, 2013, I took my last radiation treatment and completed my battle with breast cancer.

Studies show that if you survive five years after cancer treatment, you have a much better chance of it never recurring. There is also a recent study that states breast cancer patients with an elevated risk of recurrence (like me) do better if they take anti-cancer medication for 10 years, instead of five. I am a two-time cancer survivor and both my mom and sister are breast cancer survivors.

What they don't tell you is that there are serious side effects from Arimidex, the drug I have taken for the last five years: bone pain, arthritis-like symptoms, depression, mood swings, night sweats, dramatic weight gain, fatigue and a few others too personal to mention.

I want to live. I have things to do; items to cross off my bucket list. And I love my life right now. My oncologist gave me the choice. God, the Hubster and I made the decision--I will continue the meds for another five years.

In reality, my cancer battle is not over. I will continue to contend for the rest of my life. I'm fighting for days and years, fun and memories, parties and friends..and love. Lots and lots of love.

***

Notable Quote:

Deuteronomy 20:3-4 (KJV) And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them; For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward