Barefoot Worship

Joshua 5:13-15 (KJV) And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

One of the first things I do when I arrive home after work is kick off my shoes. The feeling of soft carpet, cool tile and smooth wood on my feet reminds me of childhood.

When I was a kid, I spent the whole summer barefooted--indoors and out. All the kids in our neighborhood did the same. We were a crazy, barefooted, suntanned tribe.

A theophany is a face-to-face meeting between a human and God. The Bible records a number of these events, including the one in Joshua, printed above. Joshua encountered an impressive warrior, and soon realized to Whom he was speaking. The Lord instructed Joshua to take off his shoes, because the ground was holy.

In Bible times, footwear was sandals, and they were known to be rough and filthy.  Where our Heavenly Father dwells, is sacred ground. Nothing dirty or sinful can touch this place.

When we approach the abode of God, we need to be prepared to worship. That includes beginning with a prayer of confession of sin and removal of our "shoes".

In my own humble opinion, removing our shoes today may mean to concentrate our full attention on Him. Setting aside all of our worldly concerns for the moment, we can be fully in His presence.

Am I ready for barefoot worship?

***

The Kansas Authors Club will hold its annual State Writing Conference & Convention will be held on October 13-15 in Coffeyville, KS. Click the link for more information. It's a great event!

***

Notable Quote:

"My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass."--Terri Guillemets

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward