Was God a Lousy Parent?

Genesis 3:9-13 (KJV) And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat? And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.


Did God flunk parenting, because Adam and Eve messed up?

Think about this...if God is perfect (yes, He is!), then how did His kids make a big mistake?

Not-so-big secret: God is perfect, but His kids aren't. They have free will.

As a result of my way too young and imperfect parenting, I carry a great deal of guilt. Don't get me wrong--my kids are smart and successful and terrific. They turned out great. The big thing I struggle with is the mistakes I made, things I did and didn't do.

So let's look at it this way. If the Creator of the universe had children that weren't perfect, then how bad could my parenting be?

I think I need to work on cutting myself some slack.

***

Notable Quote:

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."--Elizabeth Stone


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward