The Danger of Complacency

The alarm went off on Sunday morning. As I cracked my eyes open, there was no dawn--only dark, cold, wet. And the wind! It rattled the windows and made the most nimble trees creak. I hit the snooze button once, twice, three times before exiting bed.

Padding around the kitchen in my robe and slippers, I dawdled over feeding the cats and making coffee. Later, I delayed taking a shower, knowing the cold tile awaited.

It was plain--I didn't want to leave the warmth and comfort of my home.

I did make it to church, and as we listened to the pastor deliver the sermon, I whispered to The Hubster, "I'm so glad I'm here."

As winter deepens, most of us will spend more time indoors, away from the cold. When life, and people, are hard, it seems easier to stay safe at home. Shutting ourselves away from the world allows us to "feel" safer. But are we, really?

God did not place us in this world to be comfortable. We are to confront the culture, not isolate ourselves from it. The best way to prepare for the battles we may face is to gather with other Christ followers and pray for strength and guidance.

The Hubster and I supported a missionary for several years who always signed his letters, "content, but not satisfied." That phrase always caused me to ponder its meaning.

It's time to brave the cold--and the culture.

***

Notable Quote:

"Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor."--Benjamin Franklin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward