The Irrelevant Jesus

I was so excited that the new family moving in across the street had a daughter. Marching across the street, I introduced myself and we quickly became friends. That spring, we rode bikes and walked to school and played records and did everything together--just her and I.

And then we went to summer camp. Soon after arrival, I realized that all the other kids in our group already knew my friend. And that's when I found out that my services as friend were no longer needed. I was irrelevant.

Isaiah 29:13 (KJV) Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: 

What does Jesus have to do with our lives today? Is He, and His Gospel, relevant to us? How often do I truly consider Him? When was the last time I thought of what God would say about my TV viewing habits? Or my conversations with friends?

How often do I go through the motions of church, without true worship of the Creator of the universe? Are we simply doing lip service to our Lord, or are our hearts full of His praise?

American society has pushed Jesus out of education, government, entertainment, culture and work. We are audacious enough to believe we can handle our lives on our own. It is a fool's delusion.

As Christians, we have a responsibility to bring Him back into the converation. We have a Creator; we have a Savior. We must tell our stories; we must tell His story.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: After routine visits to my oncologist and family physician, my test results were mixed and I am facing lots more tests. So far, the bone density scan, x-rays and pap smear are all normal. However, the EKG and bloodwork were not. Next up, the dreaded treadmill test on Thursday. I'll keep you posted!

***

Notable Quote:

"A shallow, cheapened view of God leads to a shallow, cheap life."--Chuck Swindoll

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward