Taming A Tantrum

James 1:2-4 (KJV)  My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.


As I start to write this post, I am sitting in a familiar place--a hospital waiting room. More medical tests have been ordered by my doctors, due to some unusual findings in my recent six-month oncology checkup and the resulting full physical.

I had a major pity party on Friday. Not being able to concentrate on my work, I walked the hallways, trying to blow the stink off. Looking into the toddler classroom, I noticed a little girl having a major tantrum. The high-spirited Charlotte was unhappy that it was snacktime and all the toys had to be put away. She clutched her doll in a deathgrip and screamed her lungs out. The teacher repeated that it was time to put away the toys and Charlotte threw herself on the floor and sobbed and kicked her freet.

Looking at the little scene, I chuckled. Why make such a fuss? When snacktime is over, Charlotte could have gone right back to that toy.

And that's when the Holy Spirit jabbed me in the gut. Wasn't I acting just like that darling toddler? This time of medical tests is just a short season, and then it will be over. I need to look at what I might learn from this time--what God is trying to teach me.

So I will sit in the waiting room, and wait, for my Father's wisdom.

***

Notable Quote:

"We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, but we cannot be wise with other men's wisdom."--Michel de Montaigne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward