What's Taking Up Space in Your Head?

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

When I was young, and things would get me down, my dad would say to me, "Don't sweat the small stuff, Snooks."

My thought life is something I have often battled--sometimes with better results than others. My brain seems to run on overdrive most days. During my adolescence, I allowed my emotions and overactive brain to govern my actions. It was a bad way to live.

Once I committed my life to Christ, and came to know Him intimately through study of His Word, I realized that I had the cart before the horse. I am not at the mercy of my thoughts and emotions; I make the choices of what I think and feel, with God's guidance.

Instead of the overblown--out of proportion--awfulizing thoughts, I can fight back by staying in the present. "What if" may never come to be, so I can't dwell on it. Will this problem be something I worry or care about in a week, a month, a year?

Just because I have a thought, doesn't mean I have to acknowledge and give it credence. Question each thought: Is it logical? Truthful? Helpful? God-honoring?

Sometimes life is hard, but we make it harder than it has to be.

***

Notable Quote:

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another."--William James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward