The Preacher Is Wearing Jeans!

It was a big day at our church yesterday. Missionary Baptist Church hosted our first annual Family Day, complete with incredible music, food, games and preaching. Our pastor bravely volunteered to receive a pie in the face from a contest winner.

We have a small congregation, but our numbers swelled to three times our usual size. There was an abundance of infants and toddlers, too, with all the adorable antics that accompany that age group. A spunky tot named Matt helped the pitcher in a spirited game of kickball.

In a dazzling display of energy and athleticism, I hauled my old bones out on the kickball field, too. When it was my turn to kick, I gave it a swat into far left field, started to run to first base, and promptly fell on my face...twice. I practically crawled to first base, but I made it! My tenacity was rewarded; I made a run. After the game, I limped back to my lawn chair with a huge grin on my face.

The Hubster and I were honored to have my mom and her dear friend, Jim, come down for the day. After lunch, most of the crowd changed into casual clothes. I pointed out Chris, our pastor, as he reentered the fellowship hall.

 "Look, Mom," I said, "Our preacher is wearing jeans!"

Indeed, he was, along with a t-shirt and Nikes. He looked comfortable, even relaxed. We all were feeling at ease.

We're so proud of our little church. It's a family, with bratty cousins, loud aunts with crazy laughs (me!),  many sweet, loving people. And isn't family what it's all about?

***

Female in Motion Health Update: I am concentrating on eating a healthy lunch every workday. It helps to keep my body and brain humming along. As a benefit, I've already lost two pounds.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 102:21-22 (KJV) To declare the name of the LORD in Zion, and his praise in Jerusalem; When the people are gathered together, and the kingdoms, to serve the LORD.


Comments

Ginny Marie said…
What a fun day! The title reminds me of when my dad started wearing jeans to the new contemporary service at our church many years ago in an effort to be more casual. He did get a lot of comments about it!
I love when they wear jeans and a tee shirt. It reminds the rest of us that they are people too. Congrats on your game!
Thanks for the comments, ladies! The whole attitude at our church is very relaxed and welcoming. I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward