This is a Test

1 John 4:1-3 (KJV) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God:

This may sound a bit strange, coming from me, but I have set a goal to read fewer devotion blogs this year. You see, I read at least six, every day. It takes up a lot of my time and it takes away from the time I would spend reading the Bible. So I've made a bold goal to read fewer daily devotions, in order to expand my study of Scripture.

I love to read books and blogs by Christian authors. They provide enlightening perspectives and new ideas to explore in God's Word. I learn to love God more by reading Spurgeon, Swindoll, Begg, Terkeurst and Gerth.

So many believers today read books by Christian authors, and that's a very good thing. But we must never leave our first love. Don't get so stuck on hearing what others say about the Word, that you neglect to read, study and unpack it for yourself. When a modern-day scribe makes an assertion about God, make sure you refer to Scripture and see if it adds up. Test the spirits.

If a book or writer doesn't point toward Christ, it probably doesn't match up with Scripture, and should be discarded. I'm not saying toss them all out, just make sure what you're reading lines up with what God says.

Fall in love with the Bible again, dear ones.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: I am enduring the cold snap that has blanketed Kansas in recent days. It makes my poor old joints ache for a warmer climate. I'm daydreaming about living somewhere temperate.

***

Notable Quote:

The first and almost the only book deserving universal attention is the Bible...the Bible is the book of all others, to be read at all ages, and in all conditions of human life.--John Quincy Adams


Comments

Ginny Marie said…
As always, I love this. I couldn't agree more!
Thanks, Ginny Marie! I treasure your support.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward