Don't call me Mara!

     In the book of Ruth, Naomi left Bethlehem with her husband and two sons. There was a famine back home, and they decided to move to Moab. When she returned, ten years later, Naomi was a widow and childless. She told her old friends, "Call me Mara, for the Lord has dealt very bitterly with me."

     When Naomi returned to Bethlehem she had nothing, except for a beautiful daughter-in-law, Ruth. Women alone had difficult lives in Bible times. The pair were destitute, so they resorted to gleaning food from the edges of fields. It was common practice for wealthy farmers to leave a little on the sides for the poor. Naomi was at her lowest point.

     Don't call me Mara. God has spoiled me rotten! Several people have labeled me "strong" lately. I don't feel strong at all. In fact, most of the time I am a fraidy cat. That's the point. On my own, I have no steely resolve,  just a soupy puddle of melted chocolate and high-fiber cereal in my tummy.

     With God on my side, I have the courage to face each new challenge. I have the determination to move forward one tiny baby step at a time. I have the faith to believe God is real, and I have the strength to meet cancer head on.

***

My oncologist, Dr. Mohammad Razaq at Central Care Cancer Center in Wichita, has recommended that I have eight rounds of chemotherapy, along with five weeks of radiation. He also ordered a PET scan this week. This is a very conservative approach to my case and I want to get several other opinions. I will continue to keep you up-to-date on my progress. Thanks for your positive thoughts and prayers, everyone!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I walked 3/4 of a mile three times last week. My surgeon, Diane Hunt, has released me to begin some yoga again. She says I'm healing nicely.

***

Notable Quote: 

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."--Author unknown


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward