That's My Girl!


Last week's blog post on Father's Day reminded me how my folks praised me when I did something good. "That's my girl!" was soon replaced by "Attagirl!" My parents didn't heap praise on me willy-nilly. I had to earn it. When I did, they were effusive in their approval. It made me want to strive that much harder.

Although I was not the youngest child in my family, I was the smallest. My short legs didn't pump as fast as my siblings. I tried to keep up with my big sisters and my athletic brother. My parents called me Spunky because I never quit trying. (Eventually, they discovered that this trait was actually stubbornness.)

Do you suppose that God is looking down from Heaven, watching our efforts and thinking, "That's my girl?" I know for sure that He is on our side. Our Heavenly Father treasures us as His chosen children. Can't you just imagine God, our Savior, and the angels all jumping up and down and cheering us on as we strive to do our best here on earth? It makes me want to run a little harder. I love it!

***

Stop by the Kansas Writers Association's website soon, and you will see a blog post from your one and only Female in Motion! Yes, I will be posting columns on writing subjects there twice per month. This will give me an opportunity to stretch my boundaries as a blogger. Here's the link: http://kwawriters.org/?p=670

***

Momala's Book Club Pick: Billie Letts' first book, "Where the Heart is" was such a huge hit that they made a movie out of it with Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman. Now a seasoned author with four books under her belt, I was thrilled to read her second tome, "The Honk and Holler Opening Soon." The story centers on the rag-tag staff of a roadside diner in Sequoyah, OK. All of the characters are flawed: they have scars, skeletons and secrets. They also have one thing in common, each other. There is some bad language, some sensuality and one violent act. Three and a half out of five stars. Available on Amazon for $7.99 paperback.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three aerobic workouts, one 20-minute Wii workout with my new "Fitness Coach," and The Hubster and I spent an hour Friday night battling each other in Wii bowling. Fun!

***

Notable Quote:

Matthew 12:18 (KJV)

"Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased:"

Comments

Unknown said…
I like to imagine God's smile when He looks at us. I have a hard time smiling about myself, but I believe He smiles. One thing I want to experience is our Father scooping us up into His arms and twirling us around, just for the fun of it. One day...I will experience that joy.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward