A Family Man


I have some great memories of things my dad and I did together, both as a child and later in adulthood. He was a terrific dad, a devoted family man. He had four kids and always had time for us. I was a goofy tomboy, but he always said, "Attagirl, Spunky!" Yesterday was Father's Day, and I miss my dad.

Since he passed away in 2005, my life has changed a bunch. I've started writing again and became an empty-nester. I often wonder what he would think of my decisions or my life choices. He was a really good advisor, although he never gave opinions unless you asked. The Hubster and I liked to bounce things off of him, especially when we started our business.

My favorite memories of my dad are sitting on his lap on Sunday mornings. He would read the funnies to me and my job was to follow the words with my fingers. Later on, he would cook big breakfasts of pancakes and sausage or biscuits and gravy. He would tie an apron around me and call me his "assistant." During my junior high years, he bought a Honda motorcycle and we would make a doughnut run on weekend mornings, but only after a bit of a joyride.

It was hard on him when I became a teenager. He thought I shouldn't be growing up so fast, and I couldn't wait to get grown. We bumped heads some, but I always knew he loved me and was proud of me.

After I married and had kids, my favorite "dad memories" revolved around my kids and "Pa." Sarah and Rachel were his first grandkids and man, did he have fun breaking them in! How precious it was to watch him read them the Sunday funnies and cook big breakfasts together.

I had it easy when I was looking for a man to spend my life with, to raise a family with, to grow old with. I looked for someone like my dad. Happy Father's Day, Daddy!

***

The Hubster and I ate at a new restaurant last weekend. Wynn's Buffet is located at 2010 East Ninth Avenue in Winfield, KS. The food is American, buffet-style, but lots to choose from and all of it is fresh and hot. Their salad bar was full of tempting veggie mixes. Even the decor was fresh and crisp. Not to be missed were the hot rolls. Wow! I could eat myself sick on those. We plan to put Wynn's in our regular rotation.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I am back to full strength post-surgery and did four 30-minute aerobic workouts last week. Also, Sarah and Derek loaned us their Wii, so The Hubster and I are going to try out some of the exercise programs on there. I'll give you a full report.

***

Notable Quote:

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 (KJV)
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward