Use It or Lose It


If someone gave you a gift, would you open it right away, or put it away until a more "convenient" time? Or maybe for when you turn 21 years old? When my brother was very young, he would jump up and down, waving his arms, screaming, "Open it! Open it!"

What if God was the one giving you a gift?

Romans 12:5-8 (KJV)
"So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness."


What is a spiritual gift?

Some talents are easy to see, like athletic prowess, musical or artistic ability or preaching skill. Intangible gifts are more difficult to discern, like encouragement, giving, nurturing, prayer, service, time and teaching. Most people know what gifts they have. Perhaps they were evident from childhood, but do they use them? And, more importantly, do they use them for the glory of God?

1 Peter 4:10 (KJV)
"As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."

Not everyone knows what their talents are. I was a late bloomer and didn't realize the gifts that I had until God showed me. If you don't know where your talents lie, ask God to reveal them to you. I did this through prayer, Bible study, soul-searching and listening hard to His leading. Here's a tip sheet:

1. Make a list of your possible talents. (Ask others if you must.)
2. Keep it handy in your Bible or prayer journal.
3. Pray over it daily.
4. Listen to God's voice.
5. Be brave and move towards God's leading. He'll let you know.

Check this: If you're right, God will bless and prosper your gift. If not, it's not God's will for you.

Don't wait for the best time to use your gifts, use them now! God needs your special skills right where you are, at the age you are and in the way only you can do them. If we serve others with love and an open heart, God will bless. No guts, no glory of God.

***

Okay, if you're not blind, you've noticed that my blog looks different today. I am trying something new. I feel like my life is transitioning and I want my blog to reflect those changes. Please be honest with me and weigh in. It's a work-in-progress, it may never be done.

***

Some really crazy "God-things" are happening in my life, and I am amazed at the changes. My devotion on self-esteem has been accepted for publication by Upper Room Magazine and will be out sometime this year. Janelle Keith featured a link to my blog from hers last week, and lots of her readers and listeners looked me up. I have been asked to provide blog content on the Kansas Writers Association website on a regular basis and I will be speaking to Derby Madison Avenue United Methodist Church's women's group in March about my writing ministry. I'll keep you posted on everything.

***

I want to humbly thank Janelle Keith for providing content for my blog last week. She is so gifted and I am grateful for her sharing with us. Be sure to listen to her morning radio show on 89.7 or 100.1 FM. You're the best, Janelle!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week. By the way, that pesky three pounds I gained during December is gone, gone, gone.

***

Notable Quote:

Matthew 5:16 (KJV)
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Comments

Jacque said…
Carol, I'm so proud of you!!! I love reading your blog each week - it's o inspiring. And most blessed to call you friend!
Aw, Jacque, thanks so much! You are a true blue friend for sure, and I am blessed to have you in my life.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward