Perception, As I See It




This is going to come as a bit of a shock to my readers. I'm not perfect. There, I've said it. I have my strengths: I love everybody and I'm a very forgiving person. I also have my weaknesses: I don't like confrontation. The longer I live, the more I realize that I am not everyone's cup of tea, and that's alright by me.

Recently, I had a conversation with someone about perception. Who people perceive me to be and how I perceive others. As a Christian, some folks think I am judgmental or intolerant. Actually, as a Christian, I am commanded to be loving to all. I try to take time to get to know someone and not pass judgment on anyone.

Some people talk about tolerance, but it's just a ruse. They really just want others to agree with them. My grandmother had very strong opinions, but superb manners. She would never interrupt anyone or lose her temper. She always listened to all sides of an issue. I learned a lot from her. Maybe manners and kindness could help our culture get along better.

While I don't know what it's like to be bullied, gay, in an abusive relationship or pregnant and alone, I do know what we all have in common: our humanity, our inner strength and our love. Those traits can see us through the darkest situation. Regardless of whether you have a personal relationship with Christ, you possess compassion and understanding of the human condition. I believe it's all about perception...vision. And sometimes your vision is distorted and you need glasses...a correction.

The next time you see someone screaming at their kid in the store, instead of saying something bad about them, try to put yourself in their place. How about, "Gee, you must be having a doozy of a day today."

I strive every day to be open to finding new things to like about the people around me. Yes, even the people who drive me crazy. Face it, there are days when I drive them crazy right back. So, we're even.

Luke 19:7, 9-10 (KJV)
"And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner. 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."


***

Momala's Book Club Pick: I am reading two new books this week on my Kindle, and I can't put either one of them down. It makes me feel a little divided, but they're both great reads. The first is "Listen" by Rene Gutteridge. Rene lives in OKC and has written tons of Christian suspense fiction. She also wrote the screenplay for "The Ultimate Gift," one of my favorite Hallmark Channel holiday films. This book is about a small town that becomes terrorized by a mysterious website that publishes all their very private conversations. The author really knows how to build tension. Four out of five stars. Available on Amazon for $10.32 in paperback.

"Sun Stand Still" is a Christian non-fiction book by Pastor Steven Furtick, and documents what happens to Christians when they display audacious faith. The premise is based on Joshua's heartfelt prayer during a battle with the Amorites, found in Joshua 10. I am so excited to read about people's incredible visions for their lives and how God supernaturally guides them along. I heard about this book from Janelle Keith, a DJ on The House FM radio station. Five out of five stars. Available on Amazon for $8.88 in paperback.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did two aerobic workouts last week and one large session of snow shoveling. We got eight inches of the icy scourge. I think I'm ready for spring now...please!

***

Notable Quote:

"If you're not daring to believe God for the impossible, you're sleeping through some of the best parts of your Christian life. And further still: if the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God."--Steven Furtick, author, "Sun Stand Still"

Comments

Unknown said…
I didn't know you were reading Steven Furtick's Sun Stand Still Book. I couldn't put that book down. It was Awesome. Thanks for referring to me in your blog. Who knew?

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward