Woman Gives Birth to "Bump"

I finished writing an inspirational story last weekend. "Just a Little Bump" is a semi-autobiographical tale of a young wife and mom that is diagnosed with malignant melanoma while she is in the hospital giving birth to her second daughter. I first told you about the story in this very blog on March 15. It took me long enough, but I finally got it done.

I tucked it into an envelope and now it is off to be judged in the Kansas Authors Club annual literary contest. "Bump" was more emotional for me to write than I thought it would be, so it took me quite a while to write. The end product is compelling, I hope. I will keep you apprised on the contest results in October.

***

A lot of friends are taking summer vacations this month. It reminds me of trips my family of six took in our 1962 Ford Falcon station wagon in the 1960s. Dad, Mom, Laurie, Donna, Carol and David would pile in the car and head off to Yellowstone National Park, Colorado, Texas, or parts unknown. Sometimes we rented a little trailer and stayed in campgrounds, or occasionally we would stay in a Best Western.


For two solid weeks, I sat in the back seat between my big sisters, hot summer wind blowing through the open windows. Not just wind, either, there were also bugs and dust and all kinds of other junk blowing through those windows. Once we arrived at our destination, it took a couple of hours to get the howling in your ears to die down and to rinse the road grit out of your hair and eyes and teeth. For the younger set, this was before air conditioning was available in cars. Ah, memories!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts and three sets of arm weight calisthenics last week. I found out I gained another half-pound and it just made me mad. Hopefully, that will turn into energy for exercise this week.

***

Notable Quote:

"No tears in the writer. No tears in the reader."--Robert Frost, American poet

Comments

Bonnie Tharp said…
Good luck with your story, Carol. I have my fingers crossed, but I feel confident it will be a winner. Just like the author.

I, too, remember those rides in the car with no a/c and my hair whipping out of my ponytail, my shorts soaked, and the backs of my legs sticking to the vinyl seat. But, it was always neat to see someplace new.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward