Bathing Beauty



I bought a swimsuit last week. Let me clarify that. After not putting one on for over seven years...I bought a SWIMSUIT last week. The picture above was taken in Pensacola Beach, FL in July, 2003. The Hubster and I were celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary. I was so relaxed and happy on that trip that he took a photo and I didn't even tackle him!

If you're a woman, you know what I'm talking about. It doesn't matter whether you weigh 82 pounds or 482 pounds. It doesn't matter if you bring your best friend, your mom or your husband of nearly 29 years. It doesn't matter if you are 21 or 81. Trying on swimsuits, under those lights, in one of those little cubicles, is hell on earth. Not that I'm overly dramatic...

***

Momala's Movie Pick: The Hubster and I went to see the new "Shrek" movie on Saturday night at the Cowley 8. That's not an unusual thing for a couple to do, except it had been over a year since we had seen a movie in a theater. The Hubster's physical condition is such that he can't sit for extended periods of time without excruciating pain. Because of a new type of electronic stimulation therapy, he sat comfortably through the whole funny flick. Next stop: The Warren Theater Balcony! Shrek is a great family film. Five stars.

***

Momala's Book Club Pick: I finished a book last night by prolific Ark City author/poet Grant Williams. "Rooftops to Rice Paddies" is a story about a talented young man that grew up in the projects of New York City in the 1960s. After a stellar high school career, in which he excelled in sports, music and academics, he is drafted into the Army and shipped off to Vietnam. He comforts himself and those around him with soulful blues from his trumpet. This book would be great for folks who grew up in the 60s or anyone interested in music. Some adult situations and war violence. Three stars.

***

My first attempt at a poem.

I WANT TO BE A CAT

My cat is the happiest person I know.
I want to be a cat.

My cat bathes herself for 45 minutes at a stretch.
I take a 10-minute bath and have my cat's undivided attention the whole time.

My cat is unemployed.
I work at least eight hours a day and then I clean up after my cat.

My cats sleeps 23 3/4 hours per day.
I'm lucky if I get 7.

My cat sleeps in the middle of the bed.
I sleep on the edge, so I won't disturb my cat.

My cat gets a weekly brushing to make her coat shiny and sleek.
I get a haircut four times a year.

My cat only eats expensive canned food that I drive 100 miles to retrieve.
I eat whatever's on sale at the store this week.

My cat plays with a box full of toys from a pricey pet boutique.
I'm still saving up for a mani-pedi.

My cat enjoys "quality time" with me by lounging on my computer keyboard.
I'm not allowed to disturb her when she's having her "me time."

My cat doesn't pay taxes.
I pay thousands in taxes every year.

My cat is dependent on me for all her needs.
I can't even claim my cat as a deduction on my taxes.

My cat loves the way I feed and groom and play with her.
I think my cat loves me.

My cat is content with her life.
I want to be a cat.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three 30-minute aerobic workouts last week and three sets of hand weight calisthenics. I gained a half of a pound, but I'm not too worried.

***

Notable Quote:

"I don't know about you, but when I exit the dressing room after trying on swimsuits, I need counseling."--Cheryl Stritzel McCarthy, Daily Herald columnist

Comments

Bonnie Tharp said…
Congratulations on the cat poem. It makes me want to be a cat, too.

As for the whole bathing suit thing, you are right, trying then on in stores with the lights and mirrors is truly hell. I usually go the mail order route and send them back if they don't fit to avoid the whole ordeal. I'm proud of you. I'm not that brave.

Have a great summer! BD

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward