The Book of Life

When my daughters were younger and ran across a heartache or a headache, I would sit down and talk with them about the Book of Their Life. I asked them, "Does this person or problem deserve a word, sentence, paragraph, page or chapter in the book of your life?" Although they rolled their eyes, I think my girls listened to me (at least about that!).

Have you ever thought about your life and the people and situations you allow to have place in it? Sometimes it seems as if our days have a life of their own and we are merely passengers that trail along after it, fingernails dug in. What if we got a lot more intentional about our lives? If you were writing the book of your life, would you think a little more carefully about your actions and associations? I know I would...that's how my brain works.

God has blessed me with a great life and I want to honor Him and myself with it. So I want to make a conscious effort to follow my passion, live honorably, love mightily and think before I speak and act. Besides, if the book of my life is a best-seller, they might make it into a movie! Now, who should play me...

***

Cowley College Singers and Jazz Band presented their Spring Concert last Tuesday. Since Jessica Coldwell, a Cowley freshman and friend of mine is in both groups, it was a do-not-miss on my list. The Singers performed a medley of Disney movie songs with full choreography. It was a ambitious project and they executed it with finesse. I loved that it had the perfect blend of fun and fancy. Some of the songs were serious love songs while some were just plain fun to watch. Jessica's brother, Conner, substituted on drums at the last minute and did a bang-up job.

The Jazz Band jammed with a samba, one with a Latin beat and a Caribbean number, too. My favorite was "Passado" by Dave Hanson, with saxophone and trumpet solos. This talented group of musicians provided a powerful sound and lots of toe-tapping enjoyment for the appreciative audience. A small guitar ensemble is the newest addition to the Cowley music department, and they brought two jazz pieces and a Bach fugue, which was gorgeous.

Don't forget to attend the Cowley Concert Choir/Concert Band Spring Concert at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 4, 2010.

***

Momala's Netflix Pick of the Week: The Hubster and I enjoyed Disney's "Earth," a visually stunning documentary chronicling the life cycle of polar bears in the Arctic, elephants in the Kalahari Desert and humpback whales migrating south. The film has a not-so-subtle conservation message and a frank depiction of life and death in the wild, so it is not for small children. Three out of five stars. Rated G.

***

Notable Quote:

Luke 10:19 (KJV)
"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward