D.I.Why Do I Do These Things???

It was going to be a nice, quiet Monday. In fact, I had nothing planned but work and a little vacuuming. I went into the spare bedroom to retrieve the vacuum cleaner this afternoon, took a look around, and decided I couldn't take it any more. I just had to completely gut the room and start over. Ladies, do you know what I mean?

First, I emptied the room of all furniture and bric-a-brac. The next step was ominous. I pulled the old carpet up, which was the color of three-day-old dishwater. Yup, nasty stuff! The Hubster caught me huffing and puffing to get the last of it out when he arrived home from work. He stood there with his mouth open for a moment, then I beat him to the punch. "I know, I know, I've lost my mind again!" I muttered between grunts.

God answered my prayers, because underneath that hideous mess of brownness was a beautiful hardwood floor. Or, it will be when I get it swept up and polished to a fare-thee-well. The cats had taken over this bedroom of late, so the bed was furry and the carpet was a mixture of cat fur, litter and Science Diet. The Hubster already has plans to make it his haven. He's scheming now on how to move the big TV from the basement up there.

***

Rachel, our daughter, came down from Wichita on Thursday and did more baking for her daddy. She's determined to fatten him up! She baked an Apple Dapple Cake with warm butterscotch icing, and a Hot Fudge Pudding Cake. If you haven't had one of those, it will make you boogie! I grew up eating them, and it was the first cake I learned how to bake. Here's the recipe:

Hershey's Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Hershey's Cocoa, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups hot water
whipped topping

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth.

Pour batter into ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Pour hot water over top; do not stir.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes. Serve in dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top. Garnish with whipped topping (or vanilla ice cream!). About 8 servings.

***

The Hubster and I treated ourselves to a little impromptu Trekkie fix on Saturday night. We saw the latest Star Trek movie at the Cowley 8. That is two summer movies crossed off our "to-see" list. If you haven't seen Star Trek yet, even if you're not a fan of the series, it's a must. It was an action-packed, edge-of-your-seat, truly fun film.

***

I threw a little combo birthday party for Alexis and Conner Coldwell during Sunday School this week. Alex was 14 on Friday, and Conner will be "sweet 16" today. I couldn't resist a little silliness, so I bought each of them a paper flower lei and they wore them all through church, even when they went forward during worship service to have the traditional "Happy Birthday" song sung to them by the congregation. My goofiness is contagious, I think.

***

I found a new workout video last week. It's called Prevention Magazine's Drop It In 30! Aerobics for old ladies like me. I used it for three workouts last week and also did five days of hand-weight calisthenics. Whew!

***

Quotable Quote:

"Success is often closest when discouragement is greatest."--from Sara Road Baptist Church newsletter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward