Good and Faithful

Miss Jana at a baby shower for my cousin Evelyn Lister.
1 Corinthians 2:9 (KJV) But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.



My beautiful friend and mentor died Wednesday night from complications of metastatic breast cancer. Jana fought bravely, but this hideous disease was stronger than her tiny frame could handle. Did cancer win? Not a chance.

A sister in Christ for 37 years, Jana was a pillar of our church. She was the pianist, decorator, Sunday School stalwart, fellowship dinner organizer, secret floor mopper, Vacation Bible School treat maker, and plant waterer, all while making it look completely effortless.

Most of all, Jana loved Jesus. She shone with His light and reflected His mercy. If you were looking for just the right Bible verse for a particular situation, my dear friend always knew. She was a proficient Bible scholar.

While I can be loud and audacious, Jana was forever soft-spoken and elegant. As I spoke first and thought later, she carefully considered her words. And yet, my friend was gracious and forgiving. A beautiful picture of Christ.

Now Jana has finished her journey here on earth and transitioned to the kingdom of God. While I am sad that I won't see her for a while, I know she is healthy and whole in Heaven. I wish I had more time to learn from this wonderful woman.

God isn't finished with me yet.

***

Notable Quote:

"We step into Heaven flawless--thanks to the Cross."--Steve Martin, my favorite Sunday School teacher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward