Lawbreakers

The Hubster said something stunning in Sunday School yesterday.

We can't break God's laws. 

Wait, what? Did I hear that right? I always thought when we committed a sin, we broke one of God's laws.

Our Savior's statutes are absolute--like the rules of nature or science. (He created those, too.) Think of it this way, can we break the law of gravity? When I trip over my own feet, do I fall down, or hang suspended in mid-air?

When we were children, our parents had household rules because they wanted us to be safe. Breaking one of these laws could cause adolescent heartache and perhaps even mortal peril.

God's laws work the same way. We will be happy and safe when we keep them, and life will be hard and dangerous when we don't.

Do I really think that His rules are that flimsy and brittle? Hope you ruminate over this for a few days, just like I am.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 119:44-48 (KJV) So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.  And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.  I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed. And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved. My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward