"Difference" of Opinion

While visiting my "Texas Belle" last weekend, we had the opportunity to do some serious heart-to-heart talking. She has learned some things in her first year-and-a-half of marriage that took me much longer to comprehend. I raised some pretty savvy chicks!

Guys are different than girls. I know this is a startling revelation. God simply did not build them the same way as us. They don't look like us, talk like us, think like us, or smell like us, for that matter. Here are some simple rules that might help you figure out who that hairy thing is across the breakfast table each morning.

Female in Motion's Guide to Guys for Bewildered Babes

1. Guys don't know things that we don't tell them. You can give them all the hints in the world, but if you don't tell them flat-out, they won't know it.

2. Guys rarely suffer from emotions and can't always identify when they're having one. I once asked The Hubster when the last time was that he felt an emotion. He replied, "Um, I think it was about three weeks ago, but I can't remember what it was." Yup.

3. Guys don't absorb and reflect emotions like we do. Just because we can completely sympathize with what someone else is going through (such as one of our children), guys can't pick up on that and feel the same way.

4. Guys feel bad that they don't know what we're going through. It's so frustrating to them that they have no idea what we are upset about. They just want to fix it.

Here's what I'm glad about. God is so smart that He made men and women completely different so that we could balance each other out. I would hate it if The Hubster was emotional and dramatic like me. He's stable and calm and I can count on him to listen attentively and give constructive feedback. Praise the Lord for differences and for long marriages to work through all of them!

***

Momala's Book Club Pick: I am currently reading "Travels With Charley," by John Steinbeck. For all you Hemingway lovers, plug your ears. My favorite American author is John Steinbeck. Always has been. I can't believe it, but I've never read "Travels With Charley" before. This book is the author's account of an extended road trip he took with his poodle in a camper. They trekked cross-county for the better part of a year in 1961, in search of the real America. Steinbeck wanted to talk to citizens across the country about issues of the day and how they felt about them. He wanted to see how they lived and what made them happy. I think he was looking for fodder for his writing, but discovered some new perspectives. His descriptions are lush and artistic and his thoughts are complex, but relatable. Available on Amazon for $10.20 in paperback. Five out of five stars.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week. In my monthly weigh-in, I am down to 183 pounds. I am excited for my "girls trip" this week and think I will have enough stamina and energy to do everything I want. Full report when I return!

***

Notable Quote:

1 Corinthians 7:3 (KJV)
"Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward