The First Dose


Last week marked six years since my first chemotherapy dose. Looking back at photos of that time, I can't believe how long ago it was (seems like a lifetime), and how fast it went by.

I was asked how the first dose went--what it was like--and it brought me back to the first day. After researching, I had a backpack loaded with helpful items. The tech checked me into my suite and I settled into the heated recliner. She suited up and brought in four IV bags.

Bag #1: Benedryl and saline--To help me stay hydrated and prevent an allergic reaction to chemo.
Bag #2: Steroids and saline--These prevent nausea and other stress responses to chemo.
Bag #3: Taxotere: Used to treat breast cancer; neuropathy and permanent hair loss are side effects.
Bag #4: Cytoxan: No longer available in the U.S.; causes inflammation and loss of nails.

As the first bag went in, I just felt a cool sensation. No pain at all. And then I had to pee. And then I napped. The next five hours were basically napping, peeing and reading. My youngest daughter was with me and she was extremely patient. My mp3 player had lots of fun tunes on it, and the first song that played that day was Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough." Kind of ironic.

After the treatment, we grabbed a quick bite of dinner and went back to the hotel. I fell asleep almost immediately, but within three hours, I was wide awake. Writing thank you notes, a blog post and watching old TV shows filled the nighttime hours.

The next morning, after a quick checkup at the hospital, and a shot of Neulasta to keep my white blood cell count up, we were on our way home.

Want to know the weirdest thing that happened?

The first 24 hours after chemo, I had hiccups five different times.

***

Notable Quote:

(This is the prayer I offered up in my first blog post after chemo.)

Almighty One, I am humbled by your abundant love for me. Please send double blessings to everyone who takes the time to pray for my health. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward