Summer of Psalms: The Shepherd's Psalm

Photo courtesy of Christian Courier
Psalm 23:1-6 (KJV) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The 23rd Psalm is one of the most read and recognized Bible passages. It compares a Follower's walk with Christ, to a sheep with a shepherd. You can see it as you read back through.

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters," hearkens to the docile lamb. The passage that has recently hit me between the eyes, though, is "thou anointest my head with oil."

While I always assumed this anointing was figurative, I have since discovered that there is a literal explanation.

Shepherds have to use oil on their animal's heads to keep down the fleas and other insects that torment them. This is a daily occurrence in the life of a sheep.

When male sheep butt their heads against each other, they can get injured. If their heads are greased, the blows tend to glance off with little or no injury.

Sheep often suffer cuts and abrasions, due to rugged outdoor conditions. A daily dose of oil speeds healing.

In our Christian journey, we are bedeviled by irritations that ruin our resolve, wounds from clashes with others and the unforgiving world around us. It is vital that we receive a daily anointing from our Lord and Savior.

There is power in the provision the Good Shepherd makes to his faithful sheep.

***

Notable Quote:

"One of the most healing things you can do is recognize where in your life you are your own poison."--Steve Maraboli

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward