Summer of Psalms: My Hiding Place

Photo courtesy of Playbuzz
Psalm 27:5 (KJV) For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. 

I only ran away from home once, and here's the story: As a headstrong kid, (I know, shocking!) I got sent to my room for a while to cool off. Seems like I was 4 or 5 at the time. After wallowing around in self-pity for a while, I concocted a plan to run away. Sneaking into the kitchen, I quickly packed a few snacks. After a brief stop in the garage for my trusty red wagon, I headed to the furthest destination I could think of, my own backyard.

There was a row of colorful irises planted all along the south side of the house, just under my bedroom window. I pulled the wagon over, grabbed a book and started to read. Soon I was joined by my best friend, our Boston Terrier, Bootsy. He snuggled close as I read aloud.

"No one in this family understands me but you, Boots," I wailed to him, as he licked my tears away. Bootsy was a good friend.

After a snack and a brief nap, Bootsy and I were joined by my mom. She knelt down beside me.

"Are you okay?" she asked, "Are you ready to come back inside?"

The adventure was over.

When cares of this world overpower me, I look for my hiding place. Somewhere safe and quiet that I can find refuge. And no one understands me like my Best Friend. He wipes my tears and listens to my story. Nothing can harm me when we are together. I am safe.

Thank you, Lord.

***

Notable Quote:

"Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't say."--Author Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward