My Left Hand

Photo courtesy of HuffPost.
1 Peter 2:9 (KJV) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:



Both my parents are right-handed, and so are my two older sisters.

Mom noticed right away that I used my left hand often. She didn't try to influence me one way or another but simply observed. I was different, and she was okay with that.

Then my little brother came along. We did everything together, so when he started using his left hand, Mom thought he might be mimicking me. As a smart mom, she made sure that every opportunity he had to choose a dominant hand was on an even playing field.

Our parents made sure we had all the left-handed tools we needed, but we still live in a right-handed world. School was especially hard. Desks were almost always right-sided and don't get me started on spiral notebooks. Household utensils and appliances, computer number pads, most tools, musical instruments, and weapons are all right-sided. I am required to adapt to this society or fail.

As a lefty, I am one in ten humans. I am different, unusual, and awkward at times. I am in good company, however, eight presidents and countless actors and professional athletes are just like me.

I hold these truths close to my heart: I am beautiful in my Savior's eyes, chosen by Him and He calls me His child.

***

Notable Quote:

"The actions of men are like the index of a book; they point out what is most remarkable in them."--Heinrich Heine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward