Rest in the Lord

The Memorial Day holiday gives everyone a chance for a rest. America loves a three-day weekend. From the Greek, "sabbatismos," meaning a Sabbath rest, or a time of relaxation, rest is something we all need at times. That time for me is right now.

Mark 6:31 (KJV) And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.

The disciples were exhausted. They had been teaching and traveling for weeks. Ministering to the spiritual needs of others is a noble cause, but it takes a lot out of a person. In this verse, Christ encourages them to sit a spell and get quiet with Him.

On the seventh day of creation, God rested from His labors and made a Sabbath.

Ordinarily, I have a go-go mentality, and seldom sit down to rest my body or mind. This period of rest has been difficult, but much needed. The more I allow myself to rest, the more my body and mind crave the stillness. I war against my busy self, needing to finish the to-do list set before me each day. When I quiet my soul, God's presence is evident.

Sometimes, when we face struggles, we want to run away and hide from reality. This time, God calls me not to run away from my battle, but to take a short time of respite, to charge my depleted spiritual batteries. When God makes me lie down in green pastures, He is making a way for my soul and body to rest and restore itself.

Sorrow, fear, bondage...give it all a rest! Set yourself apart, for a time of refreshing.

***

Female in Motion Health Update:  My body is resting, my foot is healing from tendinitis and I am increasing my exercise. Slow and steady wins the race!

***

Notable Quote:

"I have sought repose everywhere, and I have found it only in a little corner with a little book."--Francis de Sales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward