Box of Chocolates

John 6:60 (KJV)
Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

In the movie, Forrest Gump, Forrest's mother tells him that life is like a box of chocolates. In the experience I've had with a box of Russell Stover's, I pick and choose my favorites and leave the others behind.

The Bible is NOT like a box of chocolates.

I don't have the right or the luxury to cherry-pick the bits of Scripture I agree with, and disregard those that I don't. There are "hard things" in the Bible, but it is God's Book, not mine. I cannot edit or rewrite Scripture to suit my interests, or the current culture.

In studying the Word, I understand more about the mind of God, but I will never complete the class. Graduation day is when I arrive in Heaven. Then all those difficult sayings will be made clear.

Until then, I will take Him at His Word.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: The Hubster will receive his first 2nd opinion at the University of Arkansas next week. We'll keep you posted on our search for the best cancer center for him. Please keep us in prayer.

***

Notable Quote:

 "The only way to understand the difficult parts of the Bible is first to read and obey the easy ones."--John Ruskin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward